Hey everyone. So some big news! AscendOS Beta 3 is being released today! It’s going to have a number of improvements (considering we took 3 weeks to rebuild the entire system, exhausting!) With that, I’ll give you our change log.
- AscendOS is now based on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty). More secure and dependable.
- We have the Kernel updated and running smoothly at 3.19. Will we go to 4.x? We shall see.
- Tomahawk in, Rhythmbox out. More features and eye candy. Everyone loves eye candy.
- UI refinements, and animations. Animations look cool. Translucence looks cool. So that means AscendOS looks really cool, right?
- No platform is complete without an App Store. Unless it’s in Beta. Then you just get a placeholder. The market is going to be a place for users to buy and sell (or freely download) apps safely. With that being said, I would like to announce the Ascend Market. Right now it just says “coming soon”, because we don’t have the service up yet on our end.
- Ascend Updater- different from security updates. Until we have a functioning repo, this will be our method of pushing OUR updates out. If you know about repositories, please let me know! These updates will be rare.
- AscendWebview- with our web view, we can do web apps on the desktop. Cool, eh?
- Boot & Login screen- it’s time to get a cool boot screen. I think this one does the trick. The login screen is sleek too!
- Berry Image Viewer- fast, sleek and easy to use. It’s a natural fit in AscendOS.
Now we start to kill the bugs. So get your flyswatter, and lets kill some bugs!
If you would like to join the team, just contact me and I’d be happy to work with you.
Thanks for all of the continued support for AscendOS. It means a lot, and I’m grateful to have received help from so many people in the community, with suggestions and tips. It’s really appreciated. Your suggestions made Beta 3 what it is. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but the result is well worth it.
Thanks, and enjoy Beta 3!